Tips For Choosing The Right Diabetic Testing Supplies
When you are diagnosed with diabetes, there are a lot of factors to consider. Your diet, exercise habits and other lifestyle choices can all affect your blood sugar levels. Although many people with diabetes talk extensively with their doctor about medications or insulin to manage blood sugar, most overlook the importance of choosing the right diabetic testing supplies. When it comes to testing supplies, making the right choice allows you to have comfort in the accuracy of your blood sugar readings.
Maintaining blood sugar levels within a healthy range is essential for all individuals with diabetes. Eating patterns, physical activity levels, and taking medications or insulin can cause your blood sugar to fluctuate. That is why it is so important to frequently test your blood sugar levels.
There is a lot of variability in the type and quality of testing supplies available. The good news is that there is a brand (or several brands) for your unique needs. However, this also means that not all diabetic testing supplies are created equal. Getting low-quality supplies can cause your blood sugar measurements to be inaccurate. This can be dangerous, as it could cause you to accidentally enter a hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic state. Poor accuracy of testing supplies may also make it more difficult for you to predict the effects of food or physical activity on your resulting blood sugar levels. This is a challenge for individuals trying to establish a healthy routine.
How to Choose the Best Diabetic Testing Supplies
There are many brands of diabetic testing supplies. Choosing the right one will ensure that you stay healthy and continue to manage your diabetes well. Consider some of the following tips to select the best diabetic testing supplies:
• Experiment with different brands of test strips. When you visit your diabetes doctor, ask for recommendations on types of test strips to purchase. Some doctors even offer sample test strips to allow you to try new brands. It is worthwhile to experiment with several types of test strips to get a sense of what you like and dislike.
• Buy more test strips than you think you need. During the experimentation phase, you may try numerous brands of test strips. Don’t worry if you think you have too many. Buying more than you think you will need gives you the flexibility to test your blood sugar frequently, allowing you to gauge whether the test strips are reliable. If you end up with extra diabetes testing supplies, sell them for cash.
• Think about size and shape of test strips. The size and shape of test strips can affect the user experience. Curved test strips create more surface area for blood collection. Similarly, larger test strips require more blood to get an accurate reading, while smaller strips require less.
• Investigate wicking technology. It is desirable for the blood glucose test strips to quickly absorb blood, allowing you to get a quick measurement from your testing meter. Test strips vary in the type of wicking technology used. Try a few to get a sense of which work best for you.
• Read the instructions on blood glucose measurement. Different strips work with meters differently. For some, you must place the blood upon the strip before inserting it into the glucose meter. Other test strips should be placed into the meter before you apply blood to them. Also take note of where on the strip the blood must be placed.
• Consider cost and insurance coverage. Insurance coverage for diabetes testing supplies varies by provider. Contact your insurance provider to ask what types of test supplies are covered. Many insurance companies recommend specific supplies or will only reimburse you for a certain dollar amount. This may affect the type of test strips and glucose meter you choose.
• Evaluate user experience for glucose meters. Diabetes often leads to numbness or tingling in the hands, coordination problems and blurred vision. Keep these symptoms in mind when choosing a glucose meter. Look for a meter that is easy to use, a comfortable size, and has large buttons and a large print monitor.
Author bio: Thomas Boston founded Cash Now Offer with the goal to help diabetics get the supplies they need. Boston’s company offers cash for diabetic test supplies in order to help with the financial side of diabetes.
- Video Share: TEDx Talk – Rethinking a Diabetes Cure
- Act Locally! Raising Diabetes Awareness
- Diabetes Crystal Ball
- Text Messaging Reduces Diabetes by 36 Percent!
- CNOGA: World’s First No Prick Glucose Meter
- Dr. Dean Ornish: Healing Yourself Through Diet
- Harsh Criticism For the ADA
- Diabetes Drugs: 10 More Years of Little Progress
- New Cinnamon Study and Diabetes Health
- 1984 and Diabetes: Big Brother’s Coming!