Green Tea and Diabetes – It’s Great For You!
Why is green tea and diabetes the newest health craze? Every once in a while, something comes along that has seemingly no downside and huge upside. Green tea is one of those things. Let’s take a look at what this ancient drink has to offer us!
Green teas come from the camellia sinensis tea plant. The difference between different teas (for example, black, green, white) is the processing method. Green teas undergo the least amount of processing.
The lack of processing is thought to allow green tea to retain the highest concentration of antioxidants compared with other types of teas. As a reminder, antioxidants are substances that help the body eliminate or control substances that can damage our cells. Green tea comes in many varieties and is often identified by the region where it is grown.
BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH DRINKING GREEN TEA
- Slow or Prevent Type 1 Diabetes
One study using mice found that the antioxidant EGCG in green tea can slow, if not prevent type 1 diabetes.
- Lowers Blood Sugar in Type 2 Diabetics
Drinking green tea may lower blood sugar spikes. Over time, reducing these spikes lowers a person’s chance of developing diabetes complications, such as eye, kidney and nerve damage.
- Reduces Diabetes Complications
Green tea can reduce a person’s risk of developing cardiovascular disease and cataracts. The tea is also thought to promote bone and joint health.
- Weight Loss
Here are some other benefits associated with consuming green tea:
- May Help Prevent various Cancers
- Can Reduce Stress and Depression
- Treats Inflammation
- Boosts Immunity to Colds and Flu
- Increased Memory and Brain Function
- General Well Being
As you can see, the benefits of drinking green tea not only help with diabetes treatment, the drink promotes excellent overall health. Maybe, it’s time to put down the coffee cup and pick up a tea kettle!
For a comprehensive look at even more green tea benefits, check out Amazing Green Tea. This is a wonderful site where you can purchase a nice variety of fresh teas.
- Video Share: TEDx Talk – Rethinking a Diabetes Cure
- Act Locally! Raising Diabetes Awareness
- Diabetes Crystal Ball
- Text Messaging Reduces Diabetes by 36 Percent!
- CNOGA: World’s First No Prick Glucose Meter
- Dr. Dean Ornish: Healing Yourself Through Diet
- Harsh Criticism For the ADA
- Diabetes Drugs: 10 More Years of Little Progress
- New Cinnamon Study and Diabetes Health
- 1984 and Diabetes: Big Brother’s Coming!